General Service category posts (Vienna)
Recruitment for these positions is conducted on a local basis. External candidates will be considered only when no suitable internal candidate is identified. If an external candidate is selected, his/her appointment will be subject to a passing grade on the relevant entry-level examination at the duty station. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take the examination at the duty station, as well as to assume the position if selected.
General requirements for General Service category posts
- Secondary-school education or equivalent level of vocational training
- Relevant work experience
- Working knowledge of one of the two working languages of the United Nations (English or French); knowledge of another official language of the United Nations (Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish) an advantage
- Clerical, typing and software skills (Microsoft Office, Excel etc.), as needed for the position
- Ability to work under pressure and with flexibility
- Ability to work productively and harmoniously with people of different national and cultural backgrounds
How to apply
All applicants to positions in the General Service category are required to pass the Global General Service Test (GGST).
In order to be invited to take the GGST, applicants are required to apply to a Job Opening (JO) or a Temporary Job Opening (TJO) for which they meet the requirements, which are advertised on the UN Careers Portal: https://careers.un.org/lbw/Home.aspx. Should your candidature come under consideration after you have submitted an application to a JO or TJO, you will be invited to take the GGST as the next step in the process. Therefore, only applicants who apply for a JO or TJO will be convoked to the GGST.
The GGST is a computer-based test and delivered in a proctored environment. All applicants who have been convoked to the GGST are required to take the exam at the duty station where the JO is located.