Media representatives with a valid press accreditation and who are granted access to the Vienna International Centre must
abide by the guidelines
concerning media access and coverage (English) .
Requirements for all media accreditation requests
Print, radio and TV, photo journalists, news agencies must provide
- A letter of assignment on official letterhead of a media organization signed by the Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, or Assignment
Editor (along with their contact information). It should be current, and include a) the duration of the assignment, b) verifiable
information regarding the reach of the media (print circulation, radio/television audience, digital audiences (web site, social
- Scanned image of a valid press card (national or international)
- Scanned image of passport/national ID card
- Completed online accreditation form (only for yearly accreditation) or e-mail request to firstname.lastname@example.org (for any
other accreditation request).
Online media must meet the following requirements, in addition to those above:
- The website must belong to a recognized media organization and have a specific, verifiable street address and a telephone
- The website must have at least 60 per cent original news content or commentary or analysis, including coverage of international
or UN-related issues.
- Media representatives are required to submit six (6) by-lined articles within the past 12 months that were posted on the
- The website must be updated at a minimum of three times a week.
Freelance journalists including photographers, must also provide
- Clear documentation that they are on assignment from a specific news organization or publication.
- A valid assignment letter from that news organization, or publication, is required.
Independent broadcasters and film production companies must provide
- A letter from a broadcast organization or film distributor which has committed to air or distribute the work. The project
should be UN-related.
Procedure for picking up your credentials
Once you have received confirmation by e-mail, please proceed to either:
- The Security Pass Office located at the main entrance Checkpoint One for yearly accreditation, conference accreditation
and accreditation for more than one day. Security staff will issue a media badge with your photo, there is no need to bring
your own; or
- The security reception desk at Checkpoint One for a daily press access badge.
Valid photo ID is required for this.
- Media credentials are issued by the United Nations free of charge.
- UNIS offers a press working area in the
Vienna International Centre in the M-Building close to the Press Briefing Room and there are rooms for visiting journalists
located in the C-Building (C0332-C0334).
- Representatives from online publications which are communications, outreach
or advocacy publications of non-governmental or non-profit organizations do not qualify for media accreditation.
accreditation is not permitted (for example: press + delegate, press + NGO, press + family).